[RC] Big Horn Bashers - Double 8 Ranch

2006 Big Horn 100 - Ramy Jisha said:

"The fact that a horse died was given no more than casual attention in the accountings I have seen.  In fact, not only one horse died, two were killed."

I take some real exception to this terminology. Your attempt to ignite this tragedy with this language is out of line. These wonderful horses were not "killed" and you should not implicate anyone for this tragedy.  Would you prefer to have these horses and their riders burned at the stake on ridecamp without us all knowing ALL the facts. It is awful but at this point what can anyone truly say? The Welfare of the Horse Committee will investigate and we will all read the facts. Not speculation. Not a shemozzle. (look it up)

Furthermore, why didn't you drive on up to Lake Adelaide and look for your missing rider? How would drag riders have helped your rider and her horse? They would have no way of treating your horse.
Tom is an elderly gentleman and can sometimes uses levity in stressful situations. I suspect that that was what he was doing with you. After all, he needed to stay there for riders that might come in so he couldn't rightfully leave Jack Creek. There was one vet at Jack Creek, waiting for the riders. What a conundrum. It's not a hop, skip and a jump down the mountain to base camp but about a 90" drive out with no cell phone reception. Resources in this situation and on this ride are extremely limited.

How could anyone think at the 50 mile point that it was only "7 or 14" miles (which was said to riders somewhere along the way) to the next vet check when they knew that it would be 22-23 miles from the last vet check to the finish line. Math is not my best subject but that just doesn't add up to anywhere near 100.

And, by golly, YES, folks should have a crew with them. Both for the 50 and especially for the 100 mile ride.
Does anyone question the need for a crew while doing any other single loop 100 mile ride??  It sounds like you want to make ride management responsible for everything that happened or didn't happen (no liability release).
What are you trying to imply?
Where does one take on some accountability and responsibility for their choices and decisions?

BTW, I have ridden only the 50 miler competitively but have been over all of the original 100 mile trail. I can't imagine why your rider would leave the 50 mile point at 6:00pm (correct me if I'm wrong here) and hope to travel another 50 miles, a great deal of it in the dark, and realistically expect to finish.

As far as volunteers, accessibility, drag riders, safety issues, resources,  etc I offer this as a solution: perhaps we should just start doing some rides in Central Park.

Lauren
Double 8 Ranch
Cody, WY
 "You don't throw a whole life away just 'cause it's banged up a little."