Re: [RC] Dressage and Endurance - Zephyr Arabians

Is it possible that we can finally advance to the
stage where I can ride with a loose rein at
endurance rides and still remain in control?  I do
not want to fight her for 50 miles as that will just
tire me out and piss her off.  As she's gotten
fitter and fitter, and she was no slouch before
either, I'm finding it more and more difficult to
keep her within my comfort zone.

Hi Diane!

I'm still pretty much a "newbie" to endurance with
only 450 miles, but I'm not a newbie to dressage (as a
training discipline, I don't show anything anymore)
nor to trail training horses.

What I find helps with this sort of horse (or any
horse for that matter) is different tack for
dressage/arena work vs trail riding.  Particularly a
different bit.

In my case, I like to use a French Link snaffle for
dressage/arena work and then something bitless
(hackamore or sidepull) for the trails.  My horses are
used to working with little to zero contact on their
faces out on the trails and all are easy to rate
without using my hands (well... the start of their
first or second endurance rides don't count <g>).

As you and your horse develop your relationship this
will all become much easier as well.  I have a mare
that back when we both were younger could be trail
ridden all over the place in ZERO tack (not even a
neck rope) -- and she was always pretty heavy on the
bit in the arena (that was back when I used to show a
lot).  And I have a couple mares here now that I think
could be like that as well if I put the time into it
and wasn't feeling more mortal than I used to. <g>

Another thing to consider if she's rushy and really in
a hurry out on the trails is to spend a while just
walking.  Walk walk walk.  They get to know that trail
time is FAST time and it gets them excited and
anticipatory.

I had a mare who was injured when she and I were brand
new to endurance (and doing LDs to get our feet wet)
and during her rehab I took to trail riding her in
just a halter & lead; she learned she could go as fast
as she wanted: as long as she was walking.  She
already had a good walk, but that time really taught
her to relax, as well as even further developing her
walk.  She did not go faster than a walk for literally
8-9 months, either in hand, on the lunge, or while
ridden (and had no turn out during that time either).
It was great brain time while rehabing the injury.
She now does 50s from start to finish in a sidepull
and we never have a fight about her speed, even though
she's a very driven and competitive mare.  For a while
I was starting 50s with the bit in her mouth and she
*would* pull and fight, but the second the bit came
out the fight went away, I could see the tension leave
her body.  The bit seemed to be acting as a trigger to
her; a cue to be in a hurry and to have contact (and
then some!).

I have a gelding who is a lovely dressage horse
(dressage trainers seem to think I'm wasting him b/c I
don't care to show anymore).  But, he's a
pull-pull-pull type in a bit on the trails.  If I put
a hackamore on him he settles right down to
light-to-no contact.  I'm not quite ready to trust him
in a sidepull, though.  He's been on 2 50s and on his
second one (without the above mare as his babysitter)
he nearly pulled my arms out of the sockets getting to
the first VC.  But, he settled right into his normal
loose-rein behavor after that check, so I have faith
he's got the brains to figure it out eventually.

If nothing else, taking your horse on a 50 might put a
damper on her over-enthusiam for speed.  Or it might
make it worse, guess it depends on the horse. <g>
Good luck.

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com