Re: [RC] Sand Colic - Truman Prevatt

WRSINOSKY@xxxxxxx wrote:

Yes, IMO psyllium is the best thing for getting the sand out of your horse. It does get a bit costly, but when compared to colic surgery, it's very cheap.

The instructions are correct. Feed daily for one week every month.

There has been alot of talk from people in all fields, questioning whether psyllium actually helps remove sand or not. Me? I'll stick with Horse Journal articles and the position that it "Might" help. rather than take a chance. Oh! And Horse Journal reports that the powder is much better than the pellets because it gets stickier faster. Kinda like silly putty.

When I feed it, I add it to their grain. Just before feeding, I add a litle apple/cider vinegar and stir to keep it from settling to the bottom. The horses love it.

Cindy Edwards
Buckeye, AZ

I think some that one factor in this discussion has been missed. That is the type of sand. On say heavy coarse sand - like you find on a beach in Oregon - it may not work. However, on fine sugar sand it probably works better.

Our sand in west central FL is fine sugar sand. Some is almost the like dust. I ran my own experiment on my horses some time back. I took some manure and put it in a quart jar with water and let it sit overnight. I removed the and kept the sand for comparsion. There was a little. So I had some sand in or at least moving through the system.

I them put them on psyllium and did the same thing with the manure every day. By the third day the amount of sand in the manure was significantly more than the first day. I kept them on the psyllium until the sand in the manure stopped decreasing. The sand at that point was less than the initial load. So at least in my local the psyllium shows the ability to remove sand over what is normally passed through. It also showed that there was sand in the system - that can't be good.

Truman

--

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire