[RC] horse urinating - Kathie Ford

Boy!  I have to jump in here on this one!  I swear my mare has the biggest bladder in Calif! But I'm glad to hear she is not the only horse to do that.  I do wish she would pee more, and I have tried the whistling, treats etc.  Doesn't seem to phase her.  She's a very smart mare and usually takes good care of herself, but I wish she'd go more often.

This mare is so private I hardly ever see her "tinkle" (lol, haven't used that word since my kids were tiny! lol)  even in her pasture.  I think the other day was one of the first times in months I've actually seen her!

When we first started to train/condition she did get a little better and depending on where we were staging sometimes she would tinkle at the trailer before we left.  As time went on and we rode more she would tinkle on the trail a bit, and I did learn that she will tinkle if I ride her with some geldings  sometimes.

Also, my neighbors gelding down the street will be a trigger.  I had to do that at the Wild West ride last year.  When I was doing her trot out after the finish on the second day I was trotting her on a circle for the vet.  I heard her grunt a little and I knew she had to go potty.  I had to excuse ourselves, took her to where my neighbors trailer and her gelding were at and she peed!  Of course I gave her a treat, but that never seemed to really catch on. And she is smart, just doesn't seem to ring her bell.  But that did work. I knew she was uncomfortable at that point and that was what I thought of at that moment.  After that she was quite pleased with herself.

So, all that said, I really don't know how to train her to pee as it is really hard to catch her at home.  So I do try to make a big deal of it when she goes during a ride or whatever.  Oh well,  hasn't ever caused a metabolic problem so far and I hope it never does.

Was encouraging to me to hear other stories.

All my other mares, but one, tinkles at the drop of a hat.  My daughters mare is funny because if you don't "pick up" on her needing to tinkle she will dance herself over to the side of a trail and just go!  Her mother and daughter are all the same way.

I was also wondering something, regarding mares only.  Do some of you think or ever notice a mare that has foaled will be better at urinating on the trail?  Just something I've wondered because of the three mares I mentioned (all family) 2 have been mothers.  The granddaughter is a natural tinkler as well. Maybe she learned from them?

Just something more to ponder.

Anyway, thanks to everybody for sharing info..

cheers,

kathie