RE: [RC] Question about not urinating during a 50. - Jennifer Billings

Thanks Heidi, I will try that :)

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a mare who has done six 50-milers. This mare
> will not urinate under saddle, period. It is fine if
> one of the vet checks is back at camp because she can
> be put back in her corral and she will urinate there.
> It is very unnerving for me when there is no vet check
> back at camp and thus, nowhere for her to urinate for
> 50 miles. Two of these 50's were multi-day. Any
> suggestions/tips on how I should approach this? This
> mare also has a tendency to gulp water and has had
> mild water-belly symptoms at 2 different rides.

Every time you see her pee at home or in camp, start to whistle or make
some other sort of distinctive and reassuring sound that she will begin
to associate with peeing. Then when at an "away" vet check, go ahead
and unsaddle her and find a likely spot and whistle or make whatever
sound you make at home or in camp when she does it.

Heidi