[RC] mistakes at Tevis - Jonni

Cindy Posted: >>>Those narrow trails and crowds to the first vet check make passing tough, too, and it's easy to end up walking way too much in those packs.<<<

Boy, so true Cindy! The high country, and the slow going over the boulders, through the trees etc. can get one into some pretty slow packs of riders. If you can find a spot to trot, even if it is just for 10 feet, you need to hustle, as the footing really slows one down.  We got caught in a group last year, that was not moving out when they could, and we could not get around. They would come to complete stops way too often. We finally yelled at them that they need to keep moving, or let us around. (I can holler pretty loud ;-)    ) They did pull over,and let us pass. One must be assertive enough to speak up and not get sucked in to a pace that is too slow. That includes the trails after dark. Many riders panic, or are too tired to realize they need to move along on those dark trails. When one is riding in that "finish only" time frame, and are not one of the riders who is lucky enough to actually finish at a reasonable hour, you can not have someone slow you down, possibly having you run over time.  Do not have your mind veg out and get sucked into that tag along mind set, unless you know that is the correct pace for you. When you see a place to pass, do it.  What is funny is, I took the competitive mid set of when I did "race" many years ago, always alert to the trail, the other horses, and when to make moves etc., but I was doing it at a MUCH slower pace.  You can find that pocket to ride in, away from the bigger groups. In 2004, I rode most of the high country alone. 2005 made up for it, as I was at the end of the line in our group, and the dirt and dust on my face showed it at the first vet check. LOL

Have I mentioned what a beautiful ride Tevis is? LOL

Jonni