Re: [RC] Finishing a 100 miler - MtnRondi

In a message dated 1/18/2006 6:03:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, jonnij@xxxxxxxx writes:
You know what, I think anyone who does their homework, and has a good sound
horse, can get through that ride.
Jonni is right. The year I rode and finished Tevis, I did about three or four 50's and every NATRC ride I could enter. I concentrated more on myself than my horse. Some days I would saddle up and never get on him. I would jog down the trails with my horse in hand and try to build up my endurance.

When I got to the ride, I never, ever, thought I would not finish. I never just tried to see how far I could go. I KNEW my horse could do it and I think you must think positively to keep your horse going for the finish line. His attitude was, "just hang on and we are going to Auburn."

My problem was that I didn't drink enough water. I kept saving it for when I thought I might need it. I got very sick but Malibu just dug in and got me that buckle. He did it the next year and got my son's 4th buckle.

We never doubted our horse. We knew he could do it and therefore he did too.