[RC] Tevis... to finish is to win - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Char Antuzzi Char.antuzzi@xxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I in my heart have finished Tevis twice. Last year, I came in at
3:18am and I got my buckle. What a story I and Bobbie Pomroy can
tell. Two gals riding for loved ones taken with cancer. I was
thrilled beyond belief for both of us and our families.

The year prior (2004) I won my entry to Tevis. It was at the
AERC Convention that Julie drew my name out of a bucket. I was
entered in Tevis a entry that I had won. I had a few months to
prepare.

I went into Tevis with a "what have I got to lose attitude". I
said I'd get as far as I could. I go as far as Sir Galahad
wanted to go. I wouldn't push him. I'd let he tell me when he'd
had enough. I started that Tevis full of doupt. How on earth
could I get through Tevis, with only a few months to prepare for
such a ride. I rode that ride as conservative as I could, always
keeping an eye on my wonderful horse. We rode vet check to vet
check, mile to mile. Just seeing how far I could get down that
trail.

We crossed that finish line at 5:38am. We made it through all
the heat, the cold, the dust, the start, the night and yes 100
miles of Tevis trail. I knew in my heart I was riding the clock
to the limit. But my horse deserved to cross that finish line
with respect. He went all day long with no complaints. There was
no way I was going to ask him for more then what he gave. He
carried me safe all day long, through darkness, on trail he'd
never seen before.

We finished 15 minuets past the cut off. We crossed the staging
area finish line, tears in my eyes. In my heart we
finished... we rode that 100 miles just a tad slower then we
needed.

Sometimes you learn more about yourself, your horse, your grit,
your humor from the rides you don't finish rather then the ones
you do finish. My "failure" to finish Tevis one year, is what
brought me to getting my buckle, making new friends and learning
more about myself and the great horse I ride last year.

You can ride a 100 mile ride. All you need is the desire to get
you across that finish line.

Here is hoping to see you all out on Tevis this year.
Char and Sir Galahad (Wait just a second, I've got to ride Tevis
again!)