Re: [RC] Encouraging more 100 mile starts - Truman Prevatt

KimFue@xxxxxxx wrote:

Instead of focusing on changing the 100 mile ride structure to accomodate de- elevators, mileage credit, and subsudizing 100 mile entries, we can address why some people aren't trying 100s. It seems that aside from the rider worrying about their own capability to go 100 miles it seems that one of the number one concerns is that many, many riders do not feel their horse is ready to do a 100 or that they are worried that they may hurt their horse doing a 100.

It would be nice if riders who have successfully completed 100 address these two concerns on ridecamp as well as the others mentioned in this discussion. From my 100 mile experiences, I will address these two concerns. I started 9 100's and finished 6. Got pulled twice at the Biltmore from freak accidents on the trail and once at the OD at 80 miles. My 100 mile horse was not an Arab. She was a Tennessee Walking Horse - one with an incredible amount of ability and heart but a Tennessee Walking Horse non-the-less. We did our first one two years and one month after she did her first 50. We averaged completing 2 a year for three years. She had more in her but she also had some babies that needed to come out (she was 10 when she did her first 50). I feel that my ability is about that of the average rider. I have never been blessed with a "one in a million horse" that I feel can just go out and do it. I will say there are horses that some people will take on a 100 that I would not. That's neither good or bad but fact so take this into account when you read what I say.

*1. Horse being ready for their first 100* - I do have milestones I want to see my horse meet before I consider a 100. I like to see a good base of miles. Those miles could be a combination of CTR, shorter endurance rides or long trail rides. If I were to set a number I would say at least 500 miles of a combination of CTR and 50 mile endurance rides. The second milestone is the ability to easily do an 7.5 to 8 mph 50 (about 6:15 - 6:40) on a reasonable - not to hard not to easy when climate and terrain are factored in - ride. An 8 mph 50 is 7:30 minute mile splits and a 7.5 mph 50 is 8 minute mile splits. The third milestone is the ability to pace well. That is I want to be able to set my goal at a given mile time, e.g., 6 minutes mile or 10 minute mile, and be able to hit that on the nose. That is as much a skill for rider/horse team together. The final milestone is a horse that is solid and balanced in ALL his/her gaits.
*2. Hurting the Horse-* There are some horses that are just not cut out for 100's. I've seen horses that after a few 100's start to develop problems. I've seen a few horses that get sour with endurance after a few 100's.

However, I don't believe you can "hurt a horse" on his first 100, if the rider uses their head and is attuned to the horse. You will learn a lot about both you and your horse on your first 100. You won't know if you do have or don't have a 100 mile horse until you try one. You the rider can pull anytime if something is not right. The risk of hurting your horse on his first 100 are no greater than riding him on a 50 if you ride mindful of your horse.

On the other hand one must be ready to accept the fact that your particular horse may not be cut out for 100's. If riding 100's is what you want to do and it becomes clear your horse isn't cut out to do it you have two choices, modulate your desires and goals based on the ability of your horse's capability and aptitude or find a new horse that the capability and aptitude to fit in with your desires and goals. If your horse doesn't have the ability and aptitude to do 100's and you keep doing 100's on him/her you probably will hurt him/her.
*Before the first 100 -*
1. Pick a 100 mile ride that has terrain you/your horse are comfortable riding on.
2. Up the training intensity for a few months up until about a month prior to the first 100. For a few months prior to the 100, do some strengthening work - lots of hills, deep sand, etc. The for the month prior to the ride back off so the horse is at his peak physically going into the event. I prefer to use intervals and speed rather than distance to train for a 100. I never rode more than 35 miles a week in training (unless there was a ride). While I was doing 100's I didn't probably didn't even ride the 35 miles a week and many weeks I didn't ride at all.
3. There are four types of people out there. There are those that say they want to do a 100 and they really do and they will do it. There are people that have no desire to do a 100 and never will. There are people that say they really want to do a 100 but don't have the desire deep down where it counts and will end up talking a lot about it but never doing it. Clearly none of what anyone says is going to make a difference to either of these groups.

Then there are the people that want to but for some combination of fear, superstition, phase of the moon, whatever, just can't bring themselves to enter. These are the people that need to take a deep breath, read what everyone writes and pick what will work best for you and your horse. If after your first one, you find out it's not your cup of tea or not your horse's cup of tea you will have at least given it a shot. If you don't give it a shot you will never know.

To quote Larry the Cable Guy, "just go get 'er done." It is really a lot easier than you think.

Truman

--

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire