Re: [RC] [RC] Encouraging more 100 mile starts - Barbara McCrary

Julie and I were recently having a talk about the diminishing numbers of 100 mile rides and riders, and she thinks that the numbers of 4- and 5-day rides that have a base camp (no crews needed), some of them complete with meals that the rider can purchase, has contributed greatly to the diminishing interest in 100-mile rides.  I think she has a very strong point there.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: Sherman
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 8:59 PM
Subject: [RC] [RC] Encouraging more 100 mile starts

Julie Suhr's book should be in every endurance rider's library, marked and tattered from having been read over & over. Surely, that alone would encourage more 100 mile riders. Being new to endurance, I'm curious if adding 50s brought more 100 mile riders to the sport? And more recently, has adding LD rides resulted in more riders that now do 50s? Or do these distances pretty much just bring the riders that want to do those distances, and are not really stepping stones for the majority of riders to 100s?  For me and my daughter, Tara, a 100 was the goal from the beginning, knowing we had the benefit of 50s to help us get there and gauge our readiness. I can't see how being able to de-elevate at any ride during our journey would have helped us in any way.

Kathy