[RC] 100's - FEI - Dream Weaver

Here's a question for those of you who are turned off by rides which are FEI
sanctioned. What is it, exactly, about these rides that you don't like? Why
would some of you intentionally avoid a 100 mile ride that also offers an
FEI division.

I guess I am one that has chosen to not to go some 100's because they were FEI sanctioned. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to go back again and see if things have changed. Part of it is that the atmosphere can be really uptight, it may not be that way everywhere but just what I've experienced. I can deal with the additional structure and increased regulations, so long as that what I am told they are is also what the volunteers and everybody else is told, and that is what is actually enforced.

and (part 2) - is this (whatever your objections are) something that you
think could be fixed/changed?

Make sure everybody knows what is what. If you can or can't feed a horse while you wait in line. If you can or can't present your horse for your outgoing 10 minute cri with tack on, and so forth.

Now I have questions for you Steph. ;) How hard would it be to do your May 100 without a crew? The problems I have encountered with doing a 100, or even a 50 sometimes without a crew (most of the time I don't have a crew) is that they have the pulse box where you go in, if you don't have a crew it is kind of hard to come in and pull your tack then go into the pulse box, then go directly to vet. Can we just go in and get our pulse and then go pull our tack and come back to vet (without having to have an argument)? How many vetchecks do you require tack off, how many vetchecks, out of and in camp are there, and how many hours/mins. of hold times do you have? I would guess that most FEI riders have crews, whereas a lot of regular AERC riders don't, and that is where part of trying to get thru those types of rides becomes difficult.

Thanks, Karen