[RC] 100's/FEI - Alissa Cowan

OK, Steph. I'm curious, too. I am probably a little un-educated when it comes to AERC 100's, so experienced riders can help me out (and probably point out some places where I went wrong in my own ride).

I've manged exactly three rides. Two of them were 100's. Both of those 100's were FEI rides. One was also an open AERC ride. One was the North American Endurance Championship. I, honestly, didn't make much distinction between FEI riders and AERC riders when we ran a dual sanctioned ride. The difference? FEI riders had to camp in their own little field. And fill out a whole ton more paperwork. That's about it.

So what'd I do wrong? Probably a few AERC riders were asked to weigh at the finish line. All the FEI riders had to, and when you came across the finish we just weighed you. Made life a little more routine for my dog-tired bleary eyed volunteers at the finish line. We probably caused some inconvenience, but your crew came to the finish line with a truck, anyway, so you could dump your tack there after unsaddling, and before walking back to the vet check area.

FEI riders had less time to pulse down at the finish. But that didn't really matter for AERC riders - you still had an hour. Nobody (at least I don't think anybody) was nagging you to have your pulse taken at 30 minutes. If you didn't know the rules of the particular ride you were entered in, that was your problem.

And everybody (AERC 50's, AERC 100's, and FEI 100's) had a steward directing traffic in the vet gate area. Was this an inconvenience to anyone? I really saw them as a nice little "traffic cop" who kept things flowing, and who helped people out. The stewards and ground jury ABSOLUTELY helped out a ride manager, with whatever was needed. Honestly, with all the help from wonderful stewards and ground jury, an FEI ride might just be easier to run than a regular AERC ride.

So I'm not sure I understand, either, why people would not want to come to a dual sanctioned AERC/FEI ride. Help me out, as we're planning on running another one next year. This year (breath a sigh of relief - I don't have to find volunteers crazy enough to stay awake for 24 hours, and to mark trail with glow sticks) we're just running a 25 and a 50, AERC sanctioning only. I considered doing a "moonlight" 25 and 50 miler this fall, but the rest of my group hasn't quite recovered from night time trail marking from NAEC's, so they said "no thanks!" : )

Thanks for your input!