Re: [RC] de/elevate/Mystic? - DVeritas

In a message dated 1/16/2006 9:05:11 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, johnt@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The whole goal of this discussion was to look at ways to lower the (mental) barrier to entry to the 100 mile distance - the (perceived) barrier to entry which MIGHT encourage more people to try the distance. I get the feeling that Annie's comment above exemplifies a kind of thinking - right or wrong - which keeps the barrier to entry high and makes the 100 mile distance seem more exclusive than it needs to be.
Hi John,
    I'll say this, the 100 mile distance SHOULD be more exclusive than the 25 or 50 mile distances...that's probably why it seems more exclusive, eh?
    The number of horses and riders who can successfully ride 100 miles in less than 24 hours is smaller than the same who ride 25 or 50 within the applicable time allowed.
    That simple (what I consider to be) "fact" is why the numbers, when perused by the "numbers types", deem the 100's as not being "popular" by a greater number of riders.  It's because they're not.  "Manipulating" the endurance population into TRYING a 100 will pay off for some, but for the greater number, I don't think so, and it will result in the opposite result...which is, "I won't ever do THAT again," serving to keep folks in 25/50 mile community.
    As you discovered, a fit horse, proper pacing and proper "attitude" go a long way to successfully completing a hundred.
    One danger I see is "encouraging" horses and riders to try a 100 when the horse and rider are either not cut out for it, or are not properly prepared.  That's what engenders the (so called) MYSTIC of the 100.
     There is no mystic...there is only prepared and do.
     The real question is do ride managers want to continue to offer 100 miles as an endurance distance when the ridership is much smaller than 25's and 50's?

Frank