Re: [RC] de-elevate? Or "Dare to risk failure" - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 1/16/2006 10:10:24 AM Central Standard Time, stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The rationale behind the suggestion, the concept of elevator/de-elevator
rides, was to try to think of ways to revive 100 mile riders and 100 mile
rides. (which have been in a steady decline for several years)

Any other ideas?

Well, I still think offering more 75 milers is a step in the right direction.  Not at the same ride as 100 milers, because as several folks have noted, people seem to then select the easier (shorter) distance.  But offer a 25/50/75.  Give people a chance to make the intermediate step.  Once folks have had the chance to do a few 75s, then a 100 might not seem so out of reach.  Kinda like when I started...doing 25 miles was a big deal, and 50 seemed very daunting.  After a number of LDs, 50 started to seem possible, then doable.  Now after a bunch of 50s, a 100 is starting to seem possible.  But a 75 *definitely* seems doable.  However, even if I don't get to do a 75 first, if my horse does well this season, I *WILL* try a 100 this fall.  You can hold me to that.

Dawn in East Texas