Re: [RC] 100s-again - Truman Prevatt

Jonni wrote:

Endurance riders take much time in getting thgeir horses ready physically,
and hopefully themselves physically ready to do a 100, but the mental aspect
of it is what can make the whole plan fail.

We were sitting around last night talking about this. Back in the old days (old days for FL was mid 90's) there weren't many FL riders that had done 100's in FL. Two of us were there. The consensus I think was - who the hell came up this ideal of de-elevation, start a 100, stop when you want and get a refund for the miles you don't ride. That is a non-starter.

If you want to do a 100, go do a 100. Jonni is absolutely correct (and please don't anybody ever quote me on that ;-) ). The mental component is as important - if not more so than the physical component.

When I do a 100, I don't what to know where I am. All I want to know is how my horse is doing. I don't care how I look, I only care about how my horse looks. I don't want someone to tell me "how long I have to go." I don't want anyone to tell me how great I look - I look like crap, but I'll make it. I rode my 100's by putting one foot in front of the other ( or I should say my horse did). Some times it was a trot, sometimes a walk, sometime a rolling lope and sometimes a hand gallop. But it was one footfall followed by another followed by another...........

When I did a 100, I was in the zone - and I didn't come out of the zone till I was finished. At one 100 I did, someone slipped me a couple really strong drinks (rum and coke) the night before the ride. Yes he was also riding the 100. Later I found out people were taking bets on if I'd even get up and start. I did and I was there at the end of the day (more like early the next day) crossing the finish. A razor sharp focus overcomes a lot - even a hangover.

Yes a good part of a 100 is focus. First you condition you horse to do it. Then you condition yourself to do it. Then you develop the correct mental focus to do it. Which is more important - the mental focus, hands down.

Truman

--

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

- Albert Einstein