RE: [RC] Commute - Hybrid Vehicles - heidi larson

My husband drives a Geo Metro, late 90's model, 2 door, 3 cyl. and it gets 46 MPG.  I drive a Suzuki Esteem and get 36 MPG.  We live 15 miles from the nearest town and I drive one way to work about 30 miles, but I'm a residential appraiser and cover over 1500 miles per month just for work.  (I do get reimbursed however.)

heidi

Melissa Alexander <mca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My husband has a Prius, and geek that he is, he has tracked mileage and gas
since he got it. (He doesn't use the number on the screen, but instead uses
odometer mileage factored into the amount of gas added at each fill up.) He
sees a difference depending on terrain and season. Anything that diverts the
battery away from the motor or anything that requires the car use its gas
engine will decrease the average miles per gallon.

There's a screen that shows you, at that moment, which engine you're using,
and how many miles per hour you're getting. Jay treated it much like a video
game and changed his driving habits to maximize the time on battery. Not
surprisingly, the habits that caused that change were the very behaviors
recommended here a few days ago... smooth starts, no pumping the gas pedal,
etc.

The lowest average MPG he has gotten has been 45. The highest is closer to
55. It's usually above 50 for him. His driving is a mix of city and country,
but there's little highway. Some hills, but not mountains.

I can't remember exactly what he was told about how long the battery lasted.
It was not just a few years though. It was more like eight years.

Overall, we both adore the car and are very, very, very happy with it.

Melissa