[RC] Horse Management in Excessive Heat - Jonni

An hour NW of Dallas/Ft. Worth today Weatherbug says it got to 104 today, but my truck said 110 when driving home. Hey, anything past 100 is just darn hot! Humidity only 27%.  I have done nothing different with the horses, except watch them a little more. They are out on the full 58 acres, and have been spending most of the day out in the sun grazing. when I call them in to check them, and give then the treat of some feed to lure then to the barn, they will take turns licking the mineral block, and drinking, before they head back out to graze. They have not been sweating, which I was actually surprised. Hank , the horse I am taking to Tevis has an interesting routine. lick salt block, turn and drink from the big trough, lick the salt block, turn and drink more. He does this 3-4 times, then heads back to the field. Interesting to see him self electrolyte.

The cats have been panting some, so I have been wetting them down a little. hehehe  Always fun. Actually, one liked it!
Jonni (who should be really ready for the canyons at Tevis!!)