Re: [RC] [RC] Ariat Cobalt vs. ATS system - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC] Ariat Cobalt vs. ATS system
I have Ariat Devon paddock boots w/ the Cobalt system and 2 types of Ariats—Talus and Dumas—with ATS.
Talus and Dumas are essentially low cut Terrains, slip on and lace up respectively.
The paddock boots are great for an hour or so of English riding, and they clean more easily, being smooth leather,
but they destroyed my feet during a conditioning ride, on the hot, downhill 2-mi hiking part.

The Cobalt system is too stiff. I wouldn’t recommend it for the amt of walking we do on an endurance ride, inc. traipsing around camp and vet checks. I love my Taluses, sadly discontinued by Ariat, and Dumas, also being d/c’d, but still available on the web. I can even run/jog in them.

As I found out during the research for my article on shoes in Endurance News Nov ‘05, http://www.aerc.org/Membership_ENNov05.asp
chacun à son goût/suum quique—to each his quirky own—when it comes to shoes. Everyone has h/h preference—Terrains are the overwhelming favorite—and an occasional person does 100s in paddock boots.

Beverley
AERC re-nouned* expert on shoes for endurance

*what you get when Troy Smith edits your article