[RC] yearly vaccinations - Barb Peck

I hear ya Beverly. And I agree.

It was on this list (endurance.net)  in the 90's that I shared the data from 2
of my horses  serum (one reactive, one normal) the USDA  used to design a
CELISA to test Tetnaus antitoxin to  determine just how often tetnaus shots
need to be given.  They used the gold standard (hampsters, poor things) -
Serum was tested every few years for 8 years on both horses from 1996 (their
last tetnaus shots) untill the death of my mare (the control horse).  That data
hasn't been released to the public (I can speculate why).

I went through the Freedom of Information act to get drug company data on how
frequent one really has to vaccinate for Rabies in the Equine. The data I
wanted was blacked out (drug company proprietary) so I had these horses evey
two years since their last Rabies vaccination in 1996.

Unfortunately- it's just so much easier for people (and Vets alike) to just go
ahead and get the shots for $7.00 ea
rather that pay for titers (which an be pricey- and sometimes can't be done-
depending on the disease and lab).

There are some vaccines people need to do regularily if they're competing, but
there are certainly some that shouldn't be given as frequently as we do...
We just blithely assume that when a human or an aminal gets a vaccination -
everything is fine therafter- there- that's done.

Wasn't it just on this list recently someone said: " it own't affact you untill
it affacts you."
Which is pretty much true for almost everything.

Barb
There'll be a few people who remember- Duncan, Truman, Joe.

Re: [RC] 40 Arabian horses for sale//Vaccinations - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC]   40 Arabian horses for sale//Vaccinations
<soapox>

I feel I must interject that it is the considered opinion of most of the vets,
inc horse vets, on the Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine forum
Iâ??ve been on for 10 years that we are over-vaccinating our animals without
any evidence, except hit-or-miss epidemiological, that vaccines are given
correctly.