Re: [RC] 40 Arabian horses for sale//Vaccinations - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC]   40 Arabian horses for sale//Vaccinations
<soapox>

I feel I must interject that it is the considered opinion of most of the vets, inc horse vets, on the Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine forum I’ve been on for 10 years that we are over-vaccinating our animals without any evidence, except hit-or-miss epidemiological, that vaccines are given correctly. Almost no one measures titers before and after primary and booster vaccines and there are few studies to prove vaccine regimens are appropriate. The CAVM vets from all over the world, many at academic University centers, have a huge aggregate body of experiential evidence on ill effects of vaccines, including fibrosarcomas, immune deficiency syndromes, and neurological deficits.

I would certainly favor a conservative approach if it were my foals.

Peer reviewed journals print articles that differ widely, even come up with opposite opinions. They also print bad studies as well as good studies and there is a well-demonstrated (in peer reviewed journals!) bias toward printing studies w/ positive results. (That is, toward not accepting for publication a study that shows that something doesn’t work.) And then there’s Vioxx...
  Also it’s hard to do gold standard studies—large scale, prospective, randomized, case-control, double-blind—of immunizations. No one wants to volunteer h/h kids for such a study (!) and the $$ isn’t there for animal research, which is treatment, not prevention, oriented.

There is some evidence, mostly in European peer-reviewed journals, that Gulf War Syndrome was related to vaccinations and that the increase in autistic spectrum disorders is related to the Measles, Mumps, Rubella vaccine. (Conflicting evidence on that last one—and the fact is that a measles pandemic is considered a more severe public health problem than autism.)

sorry—I do get on my high horse at over-acceptance of scientistic POVs. --and some of this angst is spilling over from holding my tongue..er...fingers...during the electrolyte and carbohydrate threads!

</soapbox>