From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Amy Major
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:17 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] competing on previously foundered horses

Ok, before I get yelled at let me say that I have gone through the archives and found a lot of useful information regarding nutrition and caring for a foundered horse.  I have a different question.

First, I am new to LD and endurance.  So new, I haven't competed in either yet but I am being mentored and advised by a veteran.  This person also reacquired her first endurance horse that she stopped competing on because he had foundered in 2001 (has rotation in both front feet).  Before that he was a 50 and 75 miler. He has been sound ever since and I have been care-leasing him for the last 3-4 months and he has been a great teacher.  I honestly think he loves this sport and when you take him out on rides you can tell.

OK, my question is not about treatment or nutrition...I think we have a system that works for him (knock on wood).  My question is whether anyone out there successfully competed or competes on a previously foundered horse.  If yes, what distances did (do) you do?  Do you avoid any specific terrain?  Any special conditioning considerations, etc?

We are trying to get him ready for a LD in the SE for fall.  My farrier said that his feet are great...wished all his client's feel looked like that.

Sorry so long..but I wanted to give his background so you knew his history and conditioning level.

Thanks

--