[RC] Heads up on Arabians in Middletown. - Karen Sullivan

A heads up on this also. I live in the county and have met this person some
time ago.  A friend has a gelding that came from her ranch, that turned into a
nice little horse. I much admire the folks who are working so hard to try to
place these horses and don't want to put a damper on things....but what has not
been said on ridecamp yet is that most of these horses are totally wild and
have been living on 50 acres in feral herds run by stallions.

What I know and what I have heard so far:

What I know:  Theresa Sanders used to breed Arabian race horses at a very nice
stable in Middletown.  At some point, she moved out to another piece of
property by the creek in Middletown with what was left of her horses.  I have
driven by there quite a few times over the past years and have observed a lot
of horses in the distance on basically a 50 acre dry lot (dirt)....and kept
wondering why animal control has not done anything sooner.  I drove by last
week and observed quite a few horses in the distance and some pipe pens....and
a few mares and very young foals  mares still dropping foals).  There is a sign
on the property with her phone number to contact about buying the horses   At
CJS Ranch supply, I was give the number of the animal control officer who is
handling the case.  I called Lake County Animal control and was told Theresa
has until Aug. 1 to sell or give away these animals.  After that Animal Control
will step in.  Lake County Animal control does not have the facilities to house
all these horses.  About two years ag
o, they consfiscated about 40 horse from an Upper Lake Breeder who was also
breeding and breeding and accumulating horses.

What I have heard:  The horses are mostly feral, running in small stallion
bands....with a lot of inbreeding.  No telling who bred who.  I heard this
weekend that the 20 or so who went up to Humbolds County to an animal rescue up
there were very poor looking (very small and scrawny and etc).  I heard quite a
few left in Middletown may not survive vet treatment, they are in such
bad condition.  People who go there to get a horse should take ropes, halters
and a ton of time...to herd into pens and try to get in trailer.  They are
effectively wild....no hoof care, shots or worming......  we also heard that
Animal control has offered to geld the colts and stallions in the past and she
has refused....

Okay, thats what I know!  Also to clarify....Rainbow Ag is in Lakeport, NOT
Lower Lake...and yes, Keith Shields is the person to contact.
Karen