From: bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 9:30 AM
Subject: [RC] Beet pulp

Susan G said:
"I think just because we let
these horses finish a course and say he's fit to continue (for today)
doesn't necessarily mean we haven't sometimes, maybe even often, caused some
slight, irreparable damage that will eventually catch up with the horse."
  This is why Susan is one of my heroes. Truer words were never spoken. I have often wondered what some winning and BC horses looked like the day after
at home in their pen. It takes time (hours or even years) for the negative effcts of exercise beyond what the horse is prepared for or built to take to show up.Incidentally, has anyone seen Susan G. lately? We hardly recognized her at the Malibu ride. She has slimmed down and is a real hottie. (I hope Dayna
isn't reading this.)Even though Susan and I are friends, when it comes to intellectual debate, a little sucking up never hurts.
 On the beet pulp thing again, I'm not suggesting that glucose is a remedy
for a sick horse, but that a steady intake of carbs throughout a ride will keep him going, drinking, and eating so that remedial measures are less likely
to be needed. I'm betting of all you folks that carry horse food on your saddle
to be fed out on the trail, nobody carries a bag of beet pulp. Probably more
like a bag of grain, horse cookies, carrots, etc.,. These things have carbs in them, and for good reason. Dr Q, world renowned sucker upper