RE: [RC] Carbohydrates During a Ride - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

*Also, what is the value of bran?  At Tevis they provide a lot of bran mashes, something I don't normally feed, *how does bran and the added fat factor in?  Should I start feeding some bran now so he's used to it?  Should I *carry grain and plan on adding it to the provided mash?

Virtually none.  It’s a myth that bran will help prevent colic, though the myth certainly does continue to endure.  It keeps the mail moving in simple-stomached species such as humans, but *not* in hindgut fermenters like horses, who just digest the bran as another fiber source.  I don’t care for it because people that feed it think they’re doing something to prevent colic, and aside from adding a very small amount of water (because the bran gets mixed up with, but doesn’t really absorb much water), and in doing so, may sometimes distract them away from better strategies.  I also don’t care for a high-phosphorus feed being fed at a time when it could interfere with absorption of calcium when calcium depletion may be an issue.  It’s useful as being something semi-tasty for horses to eat, and to have other things mixed into, and I suppose overall it’s better than nothing, but I’d rather see a horse eating almost anything else at a ride.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS