[RC] story from Kimberly - Hugh Hewitt Memories - Steph Teeter

Hugh Hewitt-Memories >From Long Ago

I'm sure many of you knew someone when you were a child, that made such a
lasting impression, in later years you would often find yourself wondering
what ever became of them.

I have lived in northern California for the last 30 years, but I grew up in
the San Fernando Valley.  I got my first horse when I was 12, and for almost
4 years, I rode more miles than most endurance riders today.   When I was
fifteen, I rode from Woodland Hills to Malibu with some friends, because we
wanted to ride our horses on the beach.  We decided to take the back roads
to avoid the traffic and it ended up taking us the whole day to get there.
We did finally get to ride on the beach but we couldn't stay long because
the sun was setting and we had to ride back up into Topanga Canyon to find a
place to camp.  Then when I was sixteen I sold my horse to buy my first car
(a Mustang of course).

I married right out of high school and moved away, finally settling in the
Northbay in 1976.

I can't even begin to explain the emotions I felt when I logged into
Ridecamp and there was a picture of the very same Hugh Hewitt that used to
shoe my horse when I was a kid.

Mr. Hewitt, as I always called him, was the greatest!  That winning smile,
his gentle way with horses, and his great personality... I never forgot him.
My parents were not horse people, so I learned about horses on my own, with
lots of kind advice from Mr. Hewitt.  I'm sure he would cringe when he came
out, because I didn't usually call him until the shoes were worn through and
falling off.  He taught me so much about owning and handling a horse.  He
knew tons, but was so very humble.

Horses have been a part of my life again for the last 25 years.  Both of my
kids are married now and I'm at that age when you spend alot more time
reflecting on days gone by.  I was truly saddened to read about Dr. Hewitts
passing, but at the same time, I am sure he lived a full and rich life and
knew how to make the most of each day...Something that has great
significance to me as I enter my 10th year of fighting breast cancer.

I took up endurance riding last year and I can't help but think that if I
had only started a little sooner, our paths would have probably crossed
again and I would have had the chance to tell him what he had meant to me.

Not long ago, my mother was throwing away some old canceled checks and came
across one made out to Hugh Hewitt for shoeing Belinda my mare.  The best
$12.00 we ever spent!   I'll keep it forever.

Kimberly Hudson