[RC] Carbohydrates in Beet Pulp - Bruce Weary DC

Thank you for responding, Kat. There is much to be learned in discussions like these, and I am constantly reminded how difficult it is to include enough info to give the broader picture, rather than leave a narrow message that can be taken out of context and misunderstood or discarded. Where to start? It looks like we agree that beet pulp generally has (or is intended to have) low sugar content, despite a rare batch that didn't. Since that's the case, and since I've been discussing the importance of keeping glucose levels up specifically, and beep pulp has almost no glycemic effect, we can probably agree that there are better feeds for elevating glucose. We also agree that sugars are indeed broken down in the foregut. We agree, I think, that all sugars and starches are carbohydrates, but not all carbohydrates are sugars or starches. We agree that structural carbohydrates are fermented in the hind gut to produce volatile fatty acids (an energy source for aerobic work), and that about 150-200 pounds of hay is on board at any given time, much of which is made of structural carbohydrates. How'm I doin' so far?
Let me make a few points clear. I'm not against using beet pulp per se. I often feed Complete Advantage at a ride, among other things, but it also has some grain and molasses in it (sugar and starch). I think that phrase "among other things" is useful here. Hay or fiber is useful in keeping the horse hydrated, his gut moving, as an electrolyte reservoir, and as a source of VFA's. It even has some non-structural carbs in it. But for the ongoing energy needs of the exercising endurance horse, a constant supply of glucose (coming either from the horse's reserves or his feed) is necessary to A) Keep him moving down the trail, and B) Tell the nervous system that it's okay to keep all body systems running (gut movement, sweating, brisk muscle contraction, heart rate and strength of contraction, depth of respiration, saliva production, water retention/clearance, hunger and thirst mechanisms). The shutting down of one or more of these mechanisms are, by definition, signs of a horse that is increasingly fatigued. We have all seen them in our horses or other horses at a ride. In fact, a distressed horse is often given fluids that contain glucose to revive him, because of it's ability to turn those systems back on.
I like the analogy of an office building with all the lights turned on. If there is a sudden power shortage, only crucial hallway lights and the lights in the CEO's office might be left on. The same can be true in the tired, glycogen depleted horse. He begins to shut down less vital systems to preserve enough glucose to at least keep the nervous system running. You're right that he can't eat enough non-structural carbs during a ride to entirely run on the mere calories that they provide, but if he eats carbs, he will elevate his blood glucose levels, and his system will know that it's okay to keep all the lights on in the building, rather than sense a shortage and begin economizing on systems functioning. Arguably, and I'd be interested in your perspective here, when the horse is becoming exhausted, he still has ample reserves of structural carbs, VFA's, and fiber on board, as well as his tissue fat reserves. Yet he is spiraling down.
So, "among other things" it may help the horse to eat some beet pulp, but he can get the same basic ingredients from hay, and he will do even better if he gets some sugar/starch throughout the ride, because it's more effective at keeping the "systems turned on" and at keeping glucose levels up. For some reason, some people seem to think that elevating blood glucose is bad. It's not. In the exercising horse it's a very good thing. It shouldn't be confused with high glucose levels in a diabetic person. Completely different scenario. And that's part of what makes this confusing to people as they try to understand all this, all the while wanting to protect the horses they love, as well as do the things (and feed the feeds) that will help that horse do his best without risking him.
And that's why I type. Dr Q