[RC] Hauling horses cross-country in August? - Jennifer Fleet

Hi all,

I am looking for opinions, suggestions, or anything that might help me make the decision on how/when to move my two Arabians from Southern California to Florida.

I am moving to the Sarasota area from Sunland, CA in August (one of the worst months, heat and humidity-wise!). I have found a private hauler that will take my horses directly door-to-door, thereby cutting down on travel time for my horses when compared to a commercial hauler. I have a tentative pick-up date set for Aug. 12. But now I am getting concerned that it might be dangerous because of the heat. My horses have not been hauled farther than Oregon to CA, and that was in the cooler months. They are used to the heat of SoCal (it's been in the low 100's for the past week) but they will be in the trailer for 3-4 days. It is a 4-horse slant load with large partitioned areas, big enough for the horses to turn around, etc when they are not tied (when trailer is stopped). No A/C like the big commercial vans have though. The driver will stop every 3-4 hours to offer water, un-hook the horses so they can strech their necks, move around a little, etc. and will keep the trailer moving, stopping at night for a few hours to get some sleep.

Is this safe? Can my horses overheat being hauled through the southern states in August? I am getting really worried....I figured that so many of you haul long distances to get to rides, you might have some good input....

The driver said that they haul horses in the hot months all the time, and that with all the windows open, the horses do just fine... ?

Thanks,
Jennifer