Re: [RC] colic and endurance (was mustangs in endurance ) - Truman Prevatt

As the herds get bigger that may not be true. Wild horses use the same watering holes and in some places there are not many. A good place for parasites grow and get passed on. In most ranges there is not a lot of grass, a few patches here and there - a good place for parasites to grow and get passed on.

I've heard to many incidences of range raised horses having evidence of long term worm damage to believe that there are not issues on the range.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I'd figure 5 "rough years" on the range would be a good start. :-)  I
read once a study from a University where they tested for worms in
different situations. They tested one horse that was on 50 acres and had
never been wormed in his life. He had practically none. Then they tested
yearlings that had been wormed every 6 weeks but were kept in cramped
conditions and they all had more. I'll be free range horses do a pretty
good job of not grazing near manure and loading themselves up. Think how
many of our domestic raised horses have been kept in cramped situations,
minimal turnout, not wormed regularly, muddy lots, etc. The range
upbringing sounds better and better. If their feet looked good I'd be
happy.

Angie

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics