Re: [RC] [RC] Run-in Sheds - rides2far

Gee, Ange...  didn't you know I was referring to the subjective
interpretation of shivering in equine vs humanoid species?

Yeah, probably sounded abrupt since I'm wanting to kill my 20 year old
daughter at the present moment and I checked mail to keep myself from
physical violence. >g<

I've had horses 36 years, kept them  unblanketed in temps below zero at
times, but have only seen my horses shiver a handful of times *ever*. I
have never gone out to feed on a cold winter evening to see the crowd
standing around shivering. The very few times I saw them shiver they were
definately uncomfortable and I did something about it. A horse's hair
does a good job of protecting them so long as it's dry or the wind isn't
blowing *extremely* hard with no wind block. No, horses didn't evolve
with dens to get into, but the did have herds to huddle with and the
ability to move to protected ground during storms...and of course nature
used that survival of the fittest thing to weed them out and I don't
think that's something we want going on in our field. :-)

Incidentally, one of the times I had a horse shiver was at the Biltmore
ride this May. This was a horse who had been outside all winter with no
blankets, no problems, but it rained hard all night with him tied
unblanketed (because he'd never had one on and wouldn't allow us to put
it on) and he got chilled. I doubt it was below 55 degrees but he was
thoroughly soaked and tied so he couldn't move around. He was definately
uncomfortable (shaking like a leaf) and unlike the night before he
decided a blanket wasn't the worst thing that could happen to him. :-)

I very seldom blanket horses at home, but I do provide wind block &
shelter which they voluntarily get into.

Angie