[RC] Colombia - Saturday ride - stephteeter

They're keeping us very busy here! Lots of people to meet, questions to
answer, ride venues to vist, and some fantastic places to visit. I'll try to
catch up tomorrow. Gregory is having broadband internet installed so I can
get some more photos up. The ride is Saturday, we'll be there to observe and
help and give suggestions as to how to focus on the first FEI ride in
January. Really these folks have it down very well, some excellent
organizers, they understand the fundamentals very well, so going to FEI is
going to be simple. Today we went to the National/Policia training and
breeding center for Police horses - they breed, train and export cavalry
horses to Bogota and other parts of Colombia. Mounted Police are very
important here. They had offered their facilities and trails to the
Endurance group as a potential venue for a ride, and Carolina had arranged
for us to ride there. Most of their trained geldings were getting ready for
a parade this weekend, but they still found horses for us to ride -
Carolina, Gregory, Dinah, Steve and me, plus Carolina's dressage instructor
who is also in the army and was the person who made the initial contact
between the Endurance group and the Guard. It was great fun! they gave us
some mares, some stallions, and a couple Paso's - trochadoras - we rode for
a couple hourss. Gorgeous countryside but hard/rocky footing - not the best
for a CEI*** ride. Fun anyway.

A nice lunch with Maurcio (can't remember the last name at this moment) - he
has arab crosses and andalucians, does jumping, endurance, and spanish
riding. Watched Ivan (the farrier) do a demonstration of natural
horsemanship - breaking a young thoroughbred mare to saddle in the roundpen.
Nice afernoon. Then dinner with Fernando Ferra, talk of training and
saddles, and preparations for Saturday.

We had a fantastic day yesterday driving to a 500 year old city, Villa de
Leyva - gorgeous colonial architecture, a few mountain passes to cross, and
down into the desert - really really beautiul. Still mountainous but dry,
completely different ecology. I'll post pictures tomorrow (if I find time)
and a little more detail.

more later - I promise! and every day I'm realizing how fantastic Colombia
is - it has incredible natural beauty, wonderful people - very modern -
great food. Beyond expectations.

Steph