Re: [RC] The Santa Fe Race and Audrey - Tom Sites

Hello Lisa, and others who are contemplating the Sante Fe Race.  Let me first say my intent is not to put a damper to the Historical Usage and Preservation of Trail, especially the Sante Fe Trail.  Nor is it my intent to be one to rally the troops against events like this.  I Love Adventure and this sounds like Adventure, until you get to the question of Logistics.  I do not plan to attend this Event, nor do i have a reason to contact the Organizers. I do have a call to the Author of the Santa Fe Newspaper who called Audrey a "Gentleman", but he's on a 2 week vacation.

Dr. Kerry Ridgway in 1987 in the AERC Endurance News and to the Promoters of the 1988 Pony Express "Bonanza '88" Race wrote the following and he addressed the issue of Logistics much better than i ever could.  I also hear that the AERC is considering sanctioning this event.  To the BOD, i would ask that after reading Dr. Ridgways questions and observations in 1987 you fully investigate this Event and their Rules  before any decisions are made regarding Sanctioning. ts

Following is a reprint of the letter to Vision Sports, Inc., written by Kerry Ridgway, DVM around May or June of 1987.
Dear Mr. Ward:

I am writing to voice serious concerns about plans regarding the 1988 Pony Express "Bonanza '88" race.  Unless there is good evidence that these matters are well in hand, I do not feel that I wish to have my name connected with the event.

There has been no request for input from your advisory committee that I am aware of.  Unfortunately, much of what I am finding out has come out of Susan Brannon's editorial in the recent issue of "Trailblazer".

It distresses me to find that you envision no daily examination procedures per se.  Every horse that is eligible to start each day must receive an examination at least pre and post ride every day if you are to have any integrity to the ride and protect the horses.  So called observations along the trail, or as we refer to them "eyeball checks", are next to worthless unless you just happen on a horse who is very lame.  Metabolically you can tell essentially very little.

Take a quick look at the logistics of even two exams per day.  Assume you have 500 entries each with five horses.  Each horse requires approximately three to five minutes exam time.  It would take 15 veterinarians EIGHT HOURS AND 20 MINUTES at three minutes per horse to process 2,500 horses.  That's assuming no breaks for meals, rest, etc.  Every morning requires a trail briefing.  To cover many of the mileages you specify the ride must start at dawn or before.  On the 1979 Pony Express event we started each day at 5 a.m.  This would require starting your pre ride vet check by 8:30 p.m. the night before and working all night long.  A post ride check would require the same time span and thus would require an 18 hour shift with no breaks from all 15 veterinarians.  When are they going to move from camp to camp and observe on the trail, let alone sleep, eat and take care of bodily functions?  I am only being slightly facetious.  Fifteen to 20 veterinarians is not feasible if horses are to be examined.  Again I emphasize that pre-ride exam is imperative on a daily basis for any horse to be used in that day's competition.

If perhaps you only envision them for treatment purposes I can nearly guarantee you they will be busy with that aspect alone.  Experience tells me that you can expect a high degree of lameness and pathology from running on sloping road berms and from debris on highway right-of-way.

You must recognize that with the prize monies involved the race will attract many riders who lack experience and whose concern will be more centered around what is necessary to win than primary concern with the horse's safety and welfare.  Therefore, good exam procedures need to be established and executed.  Drug testing procedures will be important to implement.

Unless all procedures are impeccable the race will attract the unfavorable attention of every humane organization in the United States.  Even if everything is done in the best possible manner I assure you the race will still attract and have to deal with several humane organizations.

It disturbs me that you have not designated a highly endurance experienced "head veterinarian" to set up protocol.  I would not wish to see this ride take place without the entire veterinary staff being well experienced in the sport of endurance riding.

This also brings up the matter of securing the blessing of the "Board of Veterinary Examiners" in Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and California.

Let me also list other logistical concerns that are of great importance.  Perhaps they have been considered and plans made.

As I understand it the plans center around 500 entries each with five horses.  Your logistics, as I perceive from your literature, are planned around 2,500 horses.

It will take most rides two rigs to haul five horses (e.g. a two horse and a four horse trailer).  This means at least two drivers per entry.  We found that it really requires two people to crew, with at least one not being a driver.  This means each entry will have at least four people involved and many teams will have more.  (On the 1976 Bicentennial Grand Horse Race many brought their entire families).  Some will have more than two vehicles.  Realistically, you can only get about six rigs per acre when you have that many horses.  Add in all the ride support vehicles and you will need a minimum of 150 acres available for camping each night.  In 1979 we had trouble at times with space for a race involving 12 contestants, each with four horses.

Moreover, we had occasional problems with law enforcement regarding loading and unloading of horses along highways.  This problem is going to magnified greatly with a thousand horse trailers.

Water is a major concern.  Each horse needs at least 15 gallons of water just for drinking purposes.  Water for bathing and human consumption is in addition.  This means at least 40,000 gallons per day.  There are many locations in Wyoming, Nevada, and Utah where that kind of water is simply not available.  Is the management prepared to have tanker trucks traveling that can truck water in from long distances?

Hay and grain for 2,500 horses will have to be brought in by management as local feed stores will be unable to service a group of this size.

Have you dealt with the consequences in many of the small towns of trying to purchase gasoline for about 1,500 rigs?

Have you planned for what happens when 2,000 people deluge a town of a few thousand for meals, groceries,
and supplies?

We were able to get about nine days out of a set of horse shoes on the 1979 XP race.  Have you planned for enough good farriers to shoe that many horses that often?  I suspect many teams will bring their own farrier, who will probably bring part of his family, etc.  That part of these figures are on the conservative side, if you look at the outside possible numbers, it boggles the mind.

I don't know that you have not already considered and solved these problems, but you have not given those of us on your advisory board any indication of what preparations have been made.  Therefore I feel it is necessary for me to play the devil's advocate.

I feel it is imperative that you name people who have had experience in creating and managing these type of events in the positions of "Ride Manager", Ride Executive Secretary, and Head Veterinarian.  I have the impression that you nor any of the people creating this event have those qualifications.  It is of major concern to me that you do not appear to be utilizing the capabilities and talent of the board of advisors.

I am mailing a copy of this letter to the other veterinarians on the advisory committee and feel that we all need a prompt response to these considerations.  It is my sincere hope that the event is created and executed in a manner that can be accomplished.  We all certainly recognize that even with the best of plans there are unexpected problem areas,  If this event is to happen you need to utilize the input of the very best people available.

Respectfully,

Kerry J Ridgway, DVM