[RC] Calories for your $$$ - sherman

Buy the 25# bags of whole flax seed then grind it in a coffee grinder. I was paying about $18 a sack last year. ?You just need to take time to gind up a gallon or so, put it in a plastic bag & store it in the freezer. I was feeding about a cup a day, ½ C at a time. My “hard to put weight on” mare quit being so hard to put weight on and no longer needs all the additional fat after the Panacur purge back in January. Prior to that, I would also give her an extra scoop of beet pulp whenever I went out to the barn, dry, never caused any problems, and she liked it that way. She also had hay available 24/7.

Kathy

Jeanie wrote:

once she started putting on weight I added 1/4 cup fresh ground flax seed as a supplement instead.? It's not cheap and kind of a hassle, but it seems to work great.