Re: [RC] Diesel MPG - Truman Prevatt

You need to reset them often since they base the estimate on a long term average. If you mileage changes during the time constant of the average, e.g. you start or stop towing, they will reflect the long term average not what you are getting now. I have tested mine - resetting it a a fill up and checking at the end. They are pretty accurate. One issue with diesel fuel is it foams when you put it in the tank. Depending on the shut off settings on pumps, how much foam is present and the flow rate of the pumps it can be difficult to get the fuel level in the tank the same at each fill up. I've been able to get almost 2 additional gallons in my tank by having the patients to allow the foam to subside, put more in, allow the foal to subside, put more in, etc. So there is some error from using amount you put in the tank in your calculation.

The computer in the new trucks control everything the engine and in the case of an automatic everything the engine and transmission together do.
From some published material, in order to meet pollution goals and
standards the transmission/engine need to be controlled as a unit and that can only be achieved by an integrated engine transmission (automatic) system. Since the computer knows the fuel flow (it controls it) and speed of the truck, the estimated mpg is falls out - with the caveats above.

I do not have any problem believing an automatic could produce better mileage under most driving conditions than the standard (driven by the average person). The engine was designed to run most efficient in a narrow range of its total operational parameters range. The computer knows those, the computer knows the status of these parameters through the feed back of an array of sensors in both the engine and transmission (automatic) and it adjust to keep those operational parameters within their efficient range.

As time matches on and technology becomes more sophisticated and economical automatic control systems have replaced humans in many areas. Most commercial air liners fly themselves today. With the old SR71 Blackbird - the highest performance aircraft ever built - it was considered an emergency landing when the nav computer failed and the pilot had to stick the plane in for a landing. The new F22 Raptor is a marvel of control technology. With it's control systems in recent exercises two F22's were able with one pilot each to penetrate a perimeter protected by 7 F15 Eagles (pilot and warfare officer on board) and take out a high value target protected by a sophisticated air defense system. Most of the mission was done by the onboard F22 computer.

We are seeing the same technology roll into automobiles today.

Truman

ag47xau49@xxxxxxx wrote:
I would love to know if those computer calculators are accurate. I have a hard time believing that the automatic could do that much better than the standard. Beccy in N. Idaho for a visit with mom.

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics