Re: [RC] Diesel MPG - ag47xau49

I would love to know if those computer calculators are accurate. I have a  hard time believing that the automatic could do that much better than the standard. Beccy in N. Idaho for a visit with mom.

-----Original Message-----
From: Debbie Lyons <deblyons51@xxxxxxx>
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:09:54 -0600
Subject: [RC] Diesel MPG

My friend and I both bought 2002 Ford F-350 Power Stroke diesels new off the lot. Hers is top of the line, automatic transmission and has an automatic mileage computer that calculates MPG. Ours is the same truck but has a standard transmission and no fuel calculator. Off the lot they both got about 18 MPG highway and 14-15 loaded with camper, and horse trailer. Now, 4 years later, ours is getting 13-14 unloaded in town and 11-12 loaded, she said their fuel calculator is saying they are getting 21 around town and 17 towing. Ours appears to be running fine. Both have had the same maintenance, etc. We purchase diesel at different places, we use Flying J which is a bit cheaper. Any ideas on what might be causing the huge difference in mileage? Are the automatic mileage calculators accurate?