Home Shop Classified News, Stories Events Education Ridecamp Videos Cartoons AERC
Endurance.Net Home Ridecamp Archives
ridecamp@endurance.net
[Archives Index]   [Date Index]   [Thread Index]   [Author Index]   [Subject Index]

Re: [RC] Bad Beet Pulp???? - Renie M burnett

My red flag is the statement from Dr. Holland who stated that "the most offending commodity (which one had the most MOLD) seems to be beet pulp.  I have never noticed any difference in any bags of beet pulp if have ever bought.  But, it would be very hard to "see" any mold as the stuff is dehydrated.  I have never liked feeding alfalfa pellets as I have been afraid that feed manufactures used lesser (maybe rain damaged) alfalfa in the pellets.  Rather like hotdog manufacturers using lesser quality chicken in their chickendogs. renie
 
On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:23:24 EDT SturmRanch@xxxxxxx writes:
Interesting.
 
Last summer, one of my horses was hospitalized with a severe case of diarrhea.  He was tested for salmonella, Potomac Horse Fever, clostridium - nothing came back positive.
 
The final suggestion was that it was either a reaction to stress or a reaction to something  toxic he had ingested.
 
The only thing - we had just opened a new sack of "funny looking" beet pulp.
 
The horse recovered, but I never could bring myself to feed out that beet pulp, although I still do feed BP.
 
Do you think the beet pulp could somehow have been the culprit?
 
Nancy Sturm