Re: [RC] lowered age limit - Sisu West Ranch

"....the championship. Nevermind long term. My question is, are
the 6 and 7 year olds that survive the system truly capable of going
faster *in that one race they peak for*..."

It doesn't really matter. If you decide to get a bunch of horses, then train them to peak for a particular race, throwing away, at various times in the training those who do not meet your criteria you will be purchasing them as youngsters and if you can peak them a year sooner you have saved a whole year of expense. You also can achieve your dreams with one less year of waiting etc. Think back to the programs, and philosophy that Tom Ivers promoted in his posts.

TB racing is the model here, as you have pointed out.

If the only goal of international competition is to "win the big one", and to do well internationally, for your country, is the major goal of your local endurance organization, this attitude is almost a forgone conclusion.

This has never been the stated goal of the AERC, and surely is not the goal of 90+% of AERC members*. Does this mean that the AERC (as an organization, not as individual members) should completely remove itself from involvement with the USEF and thus international competition? The USEF would seem to be doing a pretty good job of this already.

Ed

*If you believe that this percentage is in error, it is fine with me. If you believe that winning a big international race is a goal of even a third of AERC members, I will argue with you.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640