Re: [RC] lowered age limit - Pvan19

Heidi - I think a lot of us wholeheartedly agree with you, BUT unfortunately there are a lot of breeders or professional trainers / riders out there who cannot or will not share this view, for various reasons but frequently simply through the pressure owners or jockeys put on them

in France for ex the (money) stakes have risen enormously over the past years - selling one young flash-in-the-pan could safeguard an entire breeding program for several years

Pauline

Dans un e-mail daté du 23/06/2006 04:37:39 Paris, Madrid, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :
As a breeder of endurance horses, I will gently disagree....  I don't want my horses to be flash-in-the-pan wonders--I want them to have long careers.  It does a lot more for my business to have horses out doing well over many years than to have them race a few times and disappear.  So my "business interest" and the interest of horse welfare are one and the same...

Heidi

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [RC]   lowered age limit
From: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, June 22, 2006 8:42 am
To: <Pvan19@xxxxxxx>, <anyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

VERY obvious!

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 12:02 AM
Subject: lowered age limit

lowering the age limit has everything to do with economics for breeders & owners, and nothing with protecting the horse

obvious - no?

Pauline
From: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   USEF, Tom Johnson & damaging speculation.

I agree with this issue of horse's age wholeheartedly.  I have brought along
numerous horses over the years from 4 year olds to a strong working
endurance horse.  In my experience, a horse is ready to start a few LDs when
he is 5, then a few slow 50s when he is 6, then more 50s and maybe a 75 when
he's 7, a greater workload when he's 8, and finally, at age 9, I think he's
ready for 100s.  I'm not just talking about conditioning, either, but about
the horse's maturity, both physically and mentally.  To me, when a horse has
reached 9, he's ready to be considered mature.  If I would make any
amendments to the above, I would say a horse might try a slow or easy 100 at
age 8, but it wouldn't bother me any to see him a full 9 years old before
trying 100s.  Yes, I know that Rio won Tevis as a 7 year old, and that he
was still in great condition and soundness at 22 or 23, but there aren't
very many Rios in the world.  The horse was a real "freak of nature", very
much as the legendary Justin Morgan was one.
JMO, and not a very humble one, either.

Barbara