[RC] Barefootin' Rides - Karen Everhart

Hi Cindy.

Don't beat your self up too bad over solar abscesses.  My horses were always shod for competition until the end of the 2005 season in NATRC.  My daughter's horse was badly bruised (developing into a solar abscess) on the last ride and he was shod.  Unfortunately, when we move horses at anything more than a walk over rocky or uneven terrain we open them ( and ourselves) up to injury.  IMO the best we can hope for is to do "the best" we can to keep both safe. AND, a recent personal experience has taught me that you never know what "the best" is or isn't until you have 20/20 hindsight.

Karen Everhart MEd.
President- Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
email: President@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com

Owner/Operator Horse Calls LLC
Training, Centered Riding Lessons
CTR and Endurance Conditioning and Training
email: HorseCalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.horsecalls.com

620-725-3402
316-648-5082
... took him to one ride where the ground didn't appear to be any worse than other places we had gone, but he ended up badly bruised in the first loop (I knew immediately when he hit that rock), and it developed into a solar abscess, which took several months to heal.  My bad.  And my horse had to suffer for it.

I won't be forgetting any time soon how terrible I felt to see Doimas in such pain.  Knowing I was responsible made it worse, especially when this horse trusts me to keep him safe.