[RC] [RC] Barefoot/Boots - Terry - Dream Weaver

well this year Dave's horses are competing minus the shoes nailed on, ever since Cuyama.  Dave said in February he was going to pull his horses shoes, because afterall, if you could do it he says to me, he could too.  His horses have been doing fine ever since, so I guess it can't be that hard, I mean really, if Dave can do it....<vbg>

This isn't something that anybody could really do more than a year or more ago without it being way too much work.  It's getting easier, but it is still more work and effort than simply shoeing a horse.  I was as big a skeptic as anybody that this could work, and thought that at the very least I would prove that it didn't work/couldn't be done.  I proved myself wrong, but in the long run it worked out best for my horses.  I probably ride them barefoot more miles than most people ride (shod or not) and don't feel that my horses have enough (hoof) conditioning to actually compete them barefoot on the kinds of trails that are at the rides I regularly attend.  At least not for more than a handful of rides in a year, on footing like in other regions on a few select rides.  I'm a little too conservative and still would not be willing to risk hurting my horse by riding him barefoot in a 50 or longer distance.

Karen