RE: [RC] Barefoot - Karen Standefer

I’m using boots (Bares) this year on both my horses (the younger one I’m just starting in boots). ?I did just the 30 at Klickitat Trek 2 weeks ago.? Used boots on the front only for about ½ of the ride.? They did fine and didn’t have any junk in them even with the 3-4 river crossings.?

I just finished Cooley Ranch 50 mile booted and I found it a royal pain in the #&$*#&$? That ride must have at least 50 stream/river crossings and on each side is rock (small and large), sand and mud.? I had to take the Bares off at both of the vet checks (out checks).? There was no water actually in the check, so I had to interrupt my horse’s resting/eating to take him down to the creek, wash his legs off, wash the boots out and reboot him.? I rode the 1st loop with only front boots and then put the rears on for the remainder of the ride.? The nice thing about the Bares is that he has better traction in them than the EZ Boots or the Epics.? The pattern on the bottom is more conducive to collecting mud/dirt/tiny gravel in the creases so that they behave more like rim shoes.? I didn’t wrap his hooves/pasterns and got no rubbing on this ride.? But, the amount of “stuff” in the boot at the end of each loop bothered me and cleaning it out was a pain and took up most of the hold time when I should be caring for me and my horse.? I never have crew, but I was sure wishing I did this last weekend J? Hopefully with more rides and more experience with the boots I can figure out what works best.

I have to train with all 4 on if I’m riding straight from my house.? Most of the “trails” are logging roads which are currently being used and are very dry, hard, abrasive and concussive.? He does extremely well on training rides in the boots and I have no issues with putting them on just to do training rides.?

REFERENCED POST:

For people who have USED boots, how cumbersome do you find them to be as far as using them for training and racing? Do yo uuse 2 or 4?

San