Re: [RC] Barefoot - KimFue

I would like to mention that Terry Banister and E Bey have had great success barefoot/booted.  Terry consistantly Top Ten's most of the competitive PS rides.  Just last week she finished an impressive 7th at the Californios 100.

Terry is the person that convinced me that endurance can be ridden barefoot/booted.  She is not a zealot when it comes to riding booted or barefoot and she is really willing to help anyone who has an interest in riding this way.  Before getting to know Terry I would have thought it was impossible.  She is a wonderful source of information and is willing to give very honest evaluation of what has worked for E Bey and what hasn't.

I still use steel shoes but I have one horse who I may try booted/barefoot.  The problem is not that this method doesn't work BUT that I am not willing to spend the time to learn to how to compete in boots.  I hate using easy boots even as a spare and I dread the idea of having to boot up every time I go to compete or do long training rides.  I guess at this point I am just not ready to commit to the process.

I think it is great that riders like Terry think outside the box and are willing to try non traditional methods like competing barefoot.  Her willingness to share with ridecamp and endurance riders will definitely help a lot of horses and riders down the road.  We all won't have to re invent the wheel if we ever decide to try going barefoot/booted.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648