Re: [RC] exercises for riders - rides2far

Though you'd never know it to look at me, I try to work out regularly.  I
*really* like my Gaiam Pilates tape, but if you can't do sit ups, I doubt
you can do much of that stuff because it's *really* concentrated on those
same muscles. You might ask around for one that's geared to your
restrictions. A physical therapist could probably give you low resistance
rubber bands and show you a good exercise with them.

I recently joined "Curves" and am surprised how impressed I am with it.
There is a circuit of "stations" which are machines that use hydraulics
for resistance so it can be as hard as you make it. There are several
machines that work on the muscles in your torso and they do *not* mimic
sit ups. 80 year old women can get on and push the levers really easy and
tax themselves. I can get on and pump it for as many reps as I can get in
in that 30 second session and really get my heartrate up and feel the
burn. Every station hits a different muscle group so you sort of sprint
for 30 seconds, then switch to the next fresh group. It's the first good
way I've found to get my heartrate up in training levels without needing
good knees.  It really does get a lot done in 30 min.

It's really casual so you can just about drop in on your way to the
grocery store, get it in and get on down the road. Farmers tans are
cheerfully overlooked. I've quit needing my afternoon nap since I started
there. The best part is most of the other members are sweet, plump little
old ladies so we look like superwoman among them. My daughter Bonnie
works there and her supervisor said, "Your mom doesn't belong here, she's
really buff!" >g<  But it really is a good workout and I wouldn't be "the
buff one" at a  gym where the beautiful people hang out. :-)  (P.S. There
was an offer where you could get something like 2 free weeks with 2
Bounce Fabric softener boxtops)

Angie McGhee