Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.3899 MPG/shoeing - Chipnml

I have a 1991 Dodge dually with the Cummins turbo-diesel and I get about 20 mpg when I'm not hauling, about 15-17 hauling a two-horse slant with one horse and an unfinished living area.

My farriers--three partners--are REALLY good.  In twenty years of CTR and endurance riding I have never lost a shoe.  That being said, they are true prima donnas and get a little huffy when I suggest doing something different, but will listen and follow through, or give a reasonable explanation for why they don't think I should do it.  I did my first LD with my new horse a couple weeks ago and used Easyboots, and am hoping I can keep him barefoot.  I just bought a set of Epics and they will get a good test this weekend when I do a ride with lots of river crossings, mud when it rains (which it does frequently) and hard limestone trails.  It's not that I have anything against shoes (PLEASE, let's not get that started again), just trying to save some money.  I figure with the cost of trimming, and the cost of the Epics, I need them to last at least 3 trims!

Chip