Re: [RC] Vitamin E deficiency in horses - Karen Sullivan

Also could be "Shivers", friends horse was just diagnosed...
Karen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:04 PM
Subject: [RC] Vitamin E deficiency in horses

Hello-

I have a friend and client who thinks her horse might have a vitamin E deficiency. For over a month her horse has been exhibiting chattering/shaking of the hind legs. It's almost like he is having spasms in the hind legs. Most of the chattering/shaking is up in the stifle area.  It started off w/ one leg and now it's both. She is concerned and wants to get this resolved. She was reading on the internet last night that it could be a possible vitamin E deficiency. She has had blood taken on the horse, but the results aren't back  yet and I think the lab was only checking for selenium levels among other things, not for Vitamin E levels. Anyways, can anyone recommend a lab that can check for vitamin E levels. Or can any vet lab that does blood work do a vitamin E check.

Thanks
Kim