[RC] nervous/crazy..pucker pt and Tevis start - Kathie Ford

THis is a fun thread so thought I'd chime in!

Funny story first time I rode around Pucker Pt. I had asked questions about it and had a whole different picture of it in my mind.

So last year, when pre-riding it with Phil Gardners and some friends (my first time ever in the canyons) I had asked Phil just before Deadwood where the heck Puckers Pt. and Devils thumb were?  He looked at me with a funny _expression_ and said "we passed that long ago...And YOU were the one in the front!!"

I chuckled as he then asked me if I remembered when he told me to "take a look back" and I remember I did and said "oh, that's pretty!" and rode on!!

I never even noticed it!  Just remembered a sharp left and never looked down as I was always looking ahead on the trail.  Was a great thrill!  I do remember the waterfall across the canyon.  As for Devils thumb he told me we had just ridden up it!  Again, I never knew!

Guess ignorance really is bliss!

Also, I thought the start of the Tevis last year was anything but scary.  I have to agree with Jonnie, was just peaceful.  Horses calm and behaved, riders in their thoughts, glow sticks along the sides.  I thought it was actually "surreal".  I enjoyed it.  Was lots of fun and then trying to figure out where you should be before it got to the single track.  The switchbacks were so fun!! Wheeee..

Funny story at the start. My horse was in the very very back of the front.  She though differently and actually began "scanning" the crowd ahead of her.  She then looked at the folks on the hillside.  THen, very slowly, politely and sutlely decided she should be up front. So she began backing towards the front.  She was not unsafe and only took a few steps. But I had to chuckle at her thinking.  The she thought "fine, I'll just walk forward to the front!"  I laughed at her and said no, sorry. We stay here.  She pouted and stood still until we moved.  I thought it was so funny her doing thinking that way.  I mean she was actually stretching her head up and looking around.  Was very very obvious.  I just couldn?t help giggling to myself.

This year should be intersting as there is trail now out of Robinson.

Has anybody been able to pre-ride that section yet?  Think maybe still snow there?

Just curious.

Wish I was riding this year, but crewing and helping with Robinson Flat.  Love doing that too!

By the way, good luck to all!

kathie