Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:50 PM
Subject: Nervous or Crazy

me too me too... I also find Rescue Remedy by Dr Bach a HUGE help, always have a spray of the stuff on me and take it for scary stuff, and give some to the horse too

I also sing or talk to take away nervous tension - and when preparing to face something scary I deliberately look away from it and pretend to ignore it

I tell myself ' feel the fear and do it anyway' and tell the horse ' let's transform fear into curiosity'... that helps.

I find there is a big difference between riding a confident horse who spooks & bolts on training rides for fun but who's steady as a rock in competitions and just wants to go ( my first horse) and riding a nervous highly strung mare who lacks confidence and gets more scared whenever there is tension in the air ( my second horse) - with the first horse I just worry about him dumping & hurting me and having to walk home, with the second I worry about her dumping me and doing something stupid to herself in the process on training rides or in competitions and even though she'll wait for me to get back on the latter is much worse!

Pauline

From: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   Nervous or Crazy

Very wise words, and ones I am working hard to believe.  I am a
pathologically cautious person...always have been.  I've probably missed a
lot in life, but also I haven't had any near-death experiences, either.  The
older I get, the less fearful I become.