From: Gary Fend
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Nervous or Crazy

Jeez Barbara--you couldn't be that nervous. : ) The most scared I was at a ride was coming out of the last vet check at your Swanton 100.  Riding up that steep canyon, solid wall on your left, the sound of a river a couple hundred yards straight down on your right, and so dark you can't see the rider's white helmet five feet in front of you or the obstacles your horse is jumping over.  Maybe it wasn't all that bad--I see all sorts of weird things late at night in the dark.

Just keep telling yourself, "My horse doesn't want to go over the cliff any more than I do!"  And enjoy the view.

 I wish I could offer some miracle suggestion.  Laura refuses to try Tevis because of the cliffs.  If she could get over it I know she would enjoy it.  I am glad you got to experience the ride numerous times in spite of your nervousness.  Did it get easier to deal with each time?

Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, Gary, what would you recommend for the nervous Nellie who is terrified of falling off a cliff?  Can't close the eyes because one looses one's balance.  Not supposed to look down....supposed to look where you want to go so the horse will follow where you are looking.  What if the place you want to look at has nothing beyond the trail but SPACE....(shudder)
Maybe look to the left so one cannot see the SPACE 1,000 feet down to the canyon.  If YOU aren't afraid, it's no big deal, but some of us ARE afraid.  So what do you think would work for us?

Barbara