Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Do any of you ever get nervous?

I get nervous and anxious when I ride my horse alone, so I don't do it often and if I have too (no one available to ride with me). I really have to focus on breathing and staying calm. I have had just too many scary things happen (with my previous horse). Where I ride (rural country neighborhoods and pockets of woods) most of the time there are lots of "scary" things (loose dogs, hurricane debris, motorbikes, dump trucks, etc.). I know there are some people with nerves of steel, but I would venture  to say the majority of us get nervous in response to different situations on the trail (some people get nervous riding in groups, others alone, others refuse to take their horse through water, down steep hills, etc.). How do I get over it? I just force myself. There have been too many other things that I have been scared to do in life (biggest example is scuba diving lessons as an adult and sailing lessons as a pre-teen). But I love horses too much that I just made up my mind I wasn't going to let fear take over yet one more thing. I decided it was ok to be scared and refuse to confront my fears on some things (scuba diving), but some things I have decided that I have to work through. I have started riding away from the barn in small loops by my self. Each time I add another block. The last time I rode alone I was just a block from home when I spotted two huge loose dogs (100 lbs each maybe?). First instinct was to quietly turn for home before they saw me and call it a day. But then I reminded myself that my horse was just fine with loose dogs. For the ones that good too close for comfort and seemed a little agressive, I would trot my horse towards them and yell until we ran them off. Sure, these particular two dogs were double the size of dogs we had dealt with in the past, but I knew if I turned around for home, I would seriuosly be back-tracking and would never leave the barn without another rider. So sure enough, those two dogs finally saw us and came barreling towards us. As soon as they crossed into the street, we did the ole' chase and scream trick and it worked liked a charm. Sure I was a little scared of this dogs, but it is amazing how fearless you (and your horse) feel when you are telling your horse that your are going to catch up with those dogs and kill them! Swear words make all the difference, too! I guess the key is just to lie yourself through your fears. It's ok to talk outloud to you and your horse. Plus it keep you breathing so you don't tense up, therefore keeping your horse from feeling your nervousness. I also sing alot to keep me breathing.

Jennifer Adam <jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Okay - I debated for a while about whether to even ask, but I just have to
know. Do any of you ever get nervous on a trail or do you just have nerves
of steel?? I was riding a trail yesterday that I had never been on, it was
cool and breezy, and we were with another horse that we've never ridden with
before. My mare was hard to handle and she started dancing around the trail
- near a rocky ledge that kind of freaked me out. She lost her balance a bit
but managed to recover and I sort of guided her back on to the path, but my
heart was pounding the whole time. Then, a little farther on, she heard
another horse trotting up behind us and she spooked and tried to bolt. I got
her slowed and back under control, but by then my nerves were shot and I'm
sure my anxiety contributed to her over-reactiveness. All I could think was
- I must be crazy to think I'm a good enough rider to handle an endurance
trail!! So - are you all just that tough that nothing bothers you? Does it
just take lots of practice??
Confessing to being a bit of a coward -
Jen