Re: [RC] Do any of you ever get nervous? - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jennifer Adam" <jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I was riding a trail yesterday that I had never been on, it was
cool and breezy, and we were with another horse that we've never ridden
with
before. My mare was hard to handle and she started dancing around the
trail
- near a rocky ledge that kind of freaked me out. . All I could think was
- I must be crazy to think I'm a good enough rider to handle an endurance
trail!!

Jen, don't beat yourself up about this!  Other also gave good advice but
perhaps
you and your mare aren't ready yet for so many new things (new horse, new
trail,
cold day)....just slow down and keep doing the trails you feel confident and
secure
on until you are your mare are a solid team, and conpliance from the horse
becomes
automatic...then venture out into new situations and people.

On a recent camping trip; my goal the first day was to ride my 6 year old
mustang up
a 2.3 mile hill (she does get amped up, and her riding buddy was also
experiencing spring
fever)...so, despite many miles of gorgeous trails in the redwoods..THAT day
was to go
up and down this boring, steep fireroad until we had tired, humble little
horsies.....only took
twice <g>.....on the ride down a very narrow trail with dropoffs, both were
wonderful

Next day we looked at map for highest elevation, another fire road went up
there...okay, 6.5
miles is good...all uphill <g>...heck, we even loaded them in trailer and
drove them to the bottom!!!
I knew once she was pointed uphill all would be good.

Am I a weenie?  Well, maybe, at my age, 50, I do like to think i am smarter
than the horse...find
ways to have a successful ride...have tons of successful rides, even boring
when they are young.....then start
branching out....we ended up having a very enjoyable ride that day; made it
to the top, which was
accomplishment, horses were great on way home.

Hills are my best tool sometimes!
Karen