Re: [RC] foal born with crooked legs - Bette Lamore

Hi Jessica
It sounds like "windswept" if your foal is brand new. If so, it goes away in approx. 2 weeks --- because Halynov was so big (16.2) and his foals were likewise, we had our share of windswept offspring simply because they were big inside their mamas. Meant nothing wrong and they quickly grew out of it. Same as "cow hock" foals grow out of it. However, if your foal is a lot older than 2 weeks and there is no change, then you have something else.
While we're on the subject of foal leg problems, I learned that if you ever have a foal that is bow-legged, that is something you need to attend to right away. Alamo Pintado breaks the legs and resets them. Fortunately I have a race track vet up here who was able to correct the problem with splints and extensions on the shoes for the first month. The colt was absolutely fine after that. I was told that bowed legs usually occurs when the inner growth plates of the leg grow slower than the outer and generally the problem resolves with time so far as pace of growth; however, the legs need to be corrected immediately so that the initial bow-leggedness is not permanent.
Hopes this helps
Bette

Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

Jessica Spoone-Raines wrote:

The barn I am boarding at had a pair of twins born. The bigger is a real spitfire, nicely formed and loves to run and play. The smaller is as sweet as can be but his front legs are bent to the right at the knees, they hinge correctly, its like they are too weak to support him. The owner had the vet look at him and she was told to wean him off him dam (he was about a week old) and bottle feed him, confine him to a stall so he uses them less. Well she has done that and he is doing *okay* but nothing is changing with his knees. I believe she was told he didn't receive the nutrition in utero that he needed to fully develop them and hence they are too weak to support his weight. She has him on supplements to try and get what he needs into his system and his appetite is good, he rests a lot laying down. My question is does anybody know of or has treated a foal like this before successfully? I can get pictures of his legs for anybody that would like, this lady has had so much loss in her life recently that we are trying to make sure she doesn't lose this little guy too. Everything else about him is great, especially his attitude.
Jess Spoone-Raines